Periodically, we will add tips which we feel will benefit Consumers. If there are tips that you would like to share, please email to us and we will post them on this page.- Many nursing facilities have respite available. If the family is going out of town and there is there is nobody available to provide supervision for a loved one, a short term placement in a NF is an option. The caregiver support program mentioned on our caregiver page may even be able to reimburse you for the cost.
- (Thanks to Gail Webb, attorney, at Proseniors.org for this tip)-The Ohio Pension Rights Project assists Ohio and Kentucky residents of any age with pension problems free of charge. Individuals with pension issues can call 1-800-488-6070, or 513-345-4160 in the Cincinnati area to schedule an appointment to speak with an attorney.
-The Partnership for Prescription Assistance is available at PPA
It's always important to check out information about help with utilities. To view information on Utility Information for Seniors go to PUCO
-To view information about the valuable Senior Health Information Program go to OSHIIP
- Validation Therapy is used to manage difficult behaviors in individuals with dementia and other cognitive disorders. For some information regarding Validation Therapy, you can go to Validation Therapy
You can also go to Difficult Behaviors
- We often receive questions about guardianship issues. For a good description of the process and the various types of guardianship, you can go to Guardianship Assistance.
- For a great resource on Medicaid information in Ohio, you can go to Medicaid
- The Ohio Developmental Disability Council provides an informative seasonal newsletter. You can view it at DDQ
-House Bill 221- Known as Karon's Law- Allows unused prescription drugs to be re-dispensed. See Karon's Law
- Transportation is often difficult to locate. Here are some websites to help you find it. You can go to CSR or Ageline or AARP
- You can view new Medicare basic information by going to Medicare Basics
- For a list of geriatric physicians by various cities in Ohio, you can go to Geriatric Physicians or More Geriatric Physicians.
- Ohio's Person Centered Coalition is a great group that honors and respects the voice of the consumer. For more information, you can visit Person Centered Coalition
For enrollment for various Medicare part D plans. For information and assistance you can go to Part D
- For information on how to save your home from foreclosure, you can go to Ohio Home Rescue
- Another excellent source of information for home delivered meals, healthcare, counseling, etc., for individuals in Northeast Ohio is 211
-For more drug assistance programs from pharmaceutical companies, you can go to Suddenly Senior
-Senior Link helps people 55 and older with chronic care needs to stay healthy and independent as long as possible. This program is available in the Cincinnati area and it is affiliated with the PACE (Program of all Inclusive Care). For more information, visit TriHealth Senior Link
-The Ohio Access Success Project (Success Project), part of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services' Bureau of Home and Community Services, expands Ohio's capacity to serve long-term care consumers in the community by identifying individuals living in a nursing facility who desire to live in a community-based setting and who can do so with linkages to community services and supports. To view information on Access Success, you can go to Access Success
For HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) and other related programs, you can go to HEAP
- - Dental OPTIONS (Ohio Partnership To Improve Oral health through access to Needed Services) is a program offered by the Ohio Dental Association in partnership with the Ohio Department of Health. The mission of OPTIONS is to assist Ohioans with special health care needs and/or financial barriers to obtain dental care. Eligible patients are matched with volunteer OPTIONS dentists who have agreed to reduce fees. To access, go to Dental OPTIONS
- A great resource for home weatherization to help save on utility costs is available at Home Weatherization or PUCO
-Trained counselors are currently staffing 120 Benefit Bank sites and clinics across the state to help prepare and file federal and Ohio income tax returns at no cost to eligible Ohioans. Free income tax assistance is also available through an online, self-service program. For more information, go to Tax Assistance
- For a list of locations of Social Security offices in Ohio, you can go to Social Security
- You can search for medications which are approved by Medicaid in Ohio by going to Medicaid Med List
-For a great planning guide for Medicaid and Nursing Homes (Written by an Ohio Attorney,George Lovett), you can go to Medicaid Planning
- For information on various types of Trusts, you can go to Trusts or Trust Code Laws